Brief guidance on how clinical terminologies are expected to be used within the Care Connect FHIR® API.
UK Terminology Centre (UKTC)
SNOMED CT, READ2 & CTV3 Code Usage
Secondary Care systems are expected to handle coded data as follows:
- Data originally entered into a system using the preferred system (i.e. SNOMED CT)
- SHALL be returned as SNOMED CT.
- If no suitable code exists in the value set (i.e. if only text is available, then just text MAY be used).
- Data originally entered into a system using an alternate coding system (i.e. READ2 or CTV3)
- SHALL be returned in the code system it was originally entered in (i.e. READ2 or CTV3) AND
- SHALL also be returned as a preferred code (i.e. SNOMED CT) if a valid mapping/alternate code exists (i.e. there is a NHS Digital assured READ2 or CTV3 to SNOMED CT mapping in place).
Assured Mappings can be found in the NHS Data Migration download.