This implementation guide is in currently in an alpha state at the moment. This means that changes and releases are occuring regularly.
Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:
- MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
- MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible manner, and
- PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.
Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.
A pre-release version MAY be denoted by appending a hyphen (refer to Semantic Versioning - Item 9)
For examples: 1.0.0-alpha.1 is a valid pre-release version.
These labels will be taken from the GDS development process stages, and will be one of:
- Experimental: Early development/POC version of an API for early sight during discovery
- Alpha: Initial test APIs, likely to change substantially, or be discontinued as the project develops
- Beta: APIs that are still under active development and subject to change, but that are likely to progress into a live API
- Release Candidate: APIs that are largely complete, unlikely to change substantially, but still need further testing before becoming live
- Live: Release live APIs
- Discontinued: APIs which have been discontinued and should not be used for new development.