This page provides an overview of the FHIR STU3 Resources that are required to build the required API messaging. Each link will take you to the resource page detail with a link to the StructureDefinitions of each resource.
Important: This site is under development by NHS Digital, It is advised not to develop against these specifications until a formal announcement has been made.
- The “disposition” from the patient interaction (NHS111 call etc) determines the urgency (giving the time constraints).
- The DoS (Directory of Services) will have been searched and an appropriate service for the Patient selected.
- Where the selected service offers appointment Booking, it will include an value.
- The ASID is used to locate the FHIR endpoint to be queried.
- A FHIR RESTful Search request is sent to the FHIR endpoint for Slots that meet the time constraints, the appropriate service id (e.g. from DoS) is passed as a constraint on the HealthcareService ID.
- The specified HealthcareService may run zero to many Schedules.
- Each Schedule may contain zero to many Slots.
- The Slots are filtered using the Time constraints before being returned in a searchset Bundle.
- The Appointment resource is POSTed to the FHIR endpoint in a FHIR RESTful Create.
- The Appointment resource refers to a Slot retrieved above.
- The Appointment resource contains a Patient resource.
- The Appointment resource contains a DocumentReference resource.
|Appointment||The appointment that is booked, linking a specific Patient into a specific Slot||CareConnect-Appointment-1|
|Slot||A free time period, into which an appointment with a specific Patient can be booked||CareConnect-Slot-1|
|Schedule||A grouping of Slots, used to link them to the HealthcareService which the slots are provided as part of||CareConnect-Schedule-1|
|Practitioner||A Practitioner which may optionally be assigned to deliver a given Schedule||CareConnect-Practitioner-1|
|PractitionerRole||A PractitionerRole which may optionally be assigned to the delivery of a given Schedule||CareConnect-PractitionerRole-1|
|HealthcareService||A HealthcareService which has been selected from the DoS, and delivers one or more Schedules||CareConnect-HealthcareService-1|
|Organization||An Organisation which delivers one or more HealthcareServices||CareConnect-Organization-1|
|Location||A Location at which an Organisation delivers one or more HealthcareServices||CareConnect-Location-1|
|Patient||A Patient for whom an appointment is being booked||CareConnect-Patient-1|
|DocumentReference||A DocumentReference which points to a document which gives information supporting the Appointment||CareConnect-DocumentReference-1|