During an appointment the dentist can review relevant parts of a patient’s record to ensure their actions are clinically appropriate.
Use case justification
Clinical and administration:
- Access to accurate information at the point of care reducing the opportunity for errors to occur.
- Data can be formatted and filtered by the local system, so the clinician is presented the information they need in a suitable format.
- Security of patient information is maintained and improved through the reduction of paper-based ‘patient identifiable documents’ in use within departments.
- Increased patient/clinician time due to reduction in clinician time spent collecting and transcribing information away from the patient.
- Better patient experience as they are not being asked for information which should already be available to the clinician.
- Dental system
- GP Connect
- GP clinical system
- The patient attending a dental appointment.
- The dentist has the correct/appropriate system access rights.
- The patient’s GP has agreed to share patient information via GP Connect.
- The patient allows this shared information to be viewed/used by the dentist.
- Electronic interactions between dental system/GP Connect/GP clinical system have been correctly configured.
- On success
- The dentist can view the GP patient’s record and use it to assist in making clinical decision.
Basic flow with alternative and exception flows
|Step 1||Patient attends a dental appointment.|
|Step 2||Clinician identifies need to review relevant parts of the patient’s medication history.|
|Step 3||Clinician accesses the dental system to retrieve GP patient record history. The dental system requests the relevant parts of the GP patient record from GP Connect.|
|Step 4||GP Connect requests the relevant parts of the GP patient record from the GP clinical system.|
GP clinical system provides the relevant parts of the GP patient record to GP Connect.
The GP patient record will include:
|Step 6||GP Connect presents the relevant parts of the GP patient record to the dental system.|
|Step 7||The dental system formats and filters the patient record so that the relevant information is clearly presented to the dentist.|
|Step 8||The dentist uses the information to support their treatment of the patient.|