Either ahead of or during a visit a community nurse can review a patient’s record.
Use case justification
Clinical and administration:
- Access to accurate information at the point of care, reducing the opportunity for errors to occur.
- Data can be formatted and filtered by the local system, so the clinician is presented the information they need in a suitable format.
- Security of patient information is maintained and improved through the reduction of paper-based ‘patient identifiable documents’ in use within departments.
- Increased patient/clinician time due to reduction in clinician time spent collecting and transcribing information away from the patient.
- Better patient experience as they are not being asked for information which should already be available to the clinician.
- Community nurse
- Community system
- GP Connect
- GP clinical system
- The community nurse is visiting or preparing to visit a patient.
- The community nurse has the correct/appropriate system access rights.
- The patient’s GP has agreed to share patient information via GP Connect.
- The patient allows this shared information to be viewed/used by the community nurse.
- Electronic interactions between community system/GP Connect/GP clinical system have been correctly configured.
- On success:
- The community nurse can view the GP patient’s record and use it to assist in making clinical decision.
|Step 1||Community nurse visits or prepares to visit a patient.|
|Step 2||Clinician identifies need to establish the patient’s medication history.|
|Step 3||Clinician accesses the community system to retrieve GP patient record history. The community system requests the GP patient record from GP Connect.|
|Step 4||GP Connect requests GP patient record from the GP clinical system.|
GP clinical system provides the GP patient record to GP Connect.
The GP patient record will include:
|Step 6||GP Connect presents the GP patient record to the community system.|
|Step 7||The community system formats and filters the patient record so that the relevant information is clearly presented to the community nurse.|
|Step 8||The community nurse uses the information to support their appointment with the patient.|