5th September 2018 - 100 percent of trusts have now switched over to the NHS e-Referral Service
A total of 150 acute hospital trusts and 7,110 GP practices have made the move to sending and receiving all first outpatient appointments through the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS). This means that all acute trusts managed to beat the 1 October deadline to fully move to e-RS.
Trusts that have already made the move to using e-RS full-time have reported that patients on average receive appointments eight days faster, that the number of patients that fail to attend appointments has dropped by up to half and patients have greater control over their appointments.
The move to e-RS also helps to vastly reduce the amount of paper used in the referral process, as well as providing patients with a greater choice of when and where their appointment will take place.
From 1 October 2018, trusts will only take electronic referrals from GPs and NHS Digital and NHS England are working together to support full implementation of e-RS.
To learn more about this, please visit the NHS Digital website.
25th August 2018 - PRSB sets the standards for clinical referral information
New standards for sharing clinical referral information have been published by the Professional Records Standards Body (PRSB) with the aim of speeding up treatment times.
The standard has been developed with clinicians and patients, along with implementation guidance for digital referrals sent from GPs to hospitals. It is hoped that once the new standards are implemented, the exchange of referral information from GPs to hospital consultants and other professionals providing outpatient services will be improved.
The publication of the new referral standards line up with NHS Digital’s October 1 deadline, by which time trusts are to only accept e-referrals from GPs.
To read more, visit the PRSB website.
10th August 2018 - Release of the new NHS e-Referral Integration Roadmap
Today we are pleased to announce the release the new NHS e-Referral Integration Roadmap.
For more information visit the Future integration roadmap section of the NHS e-Referral Service Integration page on the NHS Digital Systems and Services website.
1st and 10th May 2018 - Tech UK Industry Briefing with NHS Digital
TechUK is hosting this event in Leeds and London. The briefing covers:
- an update of NHS Digital’s work including the “personalised health and care 2020” programmes commissioned by the National Information Board
- an in-depth look at a number of NHS Digital’s development roadmaps and programme plans, an opportunity to ask questions of NHS Digital senior management who are leading development and service improvement programmes
- a chance to share your perspectives with NHS Digital, techUK and colleagues across the health and social care digital industry
- signposting to further information and opportunities to shape the development of NHS Digital’s services.
14th March 2018 - Technical Connectathon in Leeds
We connected with both stakeholders and industry at a collaborative and innovative event - over 150 people, including a delegation who flew over from Stanford University in the United States, attended our Technical Connectathon in Leeds.
The event focused on interoperability, and the consistent exchange of information which empowers health and care professionals to make better use of patient data across organisational boundaries and different clinical contexts.
One of the ways of making systems interoperable across boundaries is by developing an Application Programming Interface (API), which allows different systems to connect to each other. At the Connectathon, attendees were able to test a range of APIs in trial implementation settings, share learnings, and work together to solve problems. Attendees also had the opportunity to learn more about a range of NHS Digital projects programme via presentations and workshops.
The following programmes provided APIs to test: CareConnect, e-Referral Service and Organisation Data Service. Presentations were delivered by: CareConnect, e-Referral Service, Organisation Data Service, National Record Locator Service, Digital Child Health and GP Connect.
23rd February 2018 - Digital Health Webinar
The NHS e-Referral Service has been working with partners to develop and release new Application Programming Interface (API) functionality. In this webinar, Dr Paul Denton (NHS e-Referral Service Programme Manager) presented in collaboration with Digital Health, PCTI Solutions Limited and Western Sussex Hospitals NHSFT and provided a high-level overview of recent developments, by focusing on the project initiation from one partnership between NHS e-Referral Service, Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and PCTI Solutions Limited.
1st June 2017 – Industry Briefings with techUK
techUK and NHS Digital are hosting two industry briefings. Join us in London or Leeds to hear from NHS Digital’s Director of Digital Transformation Beverley Bryant and her team, and to discuss the role of industry in supporting their work.
The briefings will provide:
- An update of NHS Digital’s work including the “paperless 2020” programmes commissioned by the National Information Board.
- An in-depth look at a number of NHS Digital’s development roadmaps and programme plans.
- A chance to ask questions of NHS Digital senior management leading development and service improvement programmes.
- A chance to share your perspectives with NHS Digital, techUK and colleagues across the health and social care digital Industry.
- Introductions and signposting to further information, and opportunities to shape the development of NHS Digital’s services.
Time: 13:00 – 16:30, Place: Leeds – Hilton City
Time: 10:00 – 14:00, Place: London, 10 St Bride Street
21st April 2017 – NHS e-Referral Service Integration Roadmap
We are listening to your views and have been asking users and integration stakeholders what improvements they would like us to make to the NHS e-Referral Service, so that the service is continually improved to make it easier, quicker and more efficient for third party solutions to connect and use. Your feedback is helping us produce a ‘roadmap’ of integration developments.
As such, The NHS e-Referral Service has now released its first Integration Roadmap which aims to explain the system based integration enhancements and when they are being delivered. These represent key milestone themes when new functionality will be released for users to commence their own development, assurance and compliance activities against.
24th December 2016 – Clinical Referral Information (CRI) APIs
The latest software development phase of the NHS e-Referral Service has now been completed and is available for collaborating business partner review. Through the delivery of the API Beta Project a package of eight APIs have now been made available within the API Sandpit and e-RS/DEV1 Path-To-Live (PTL) environments. These will allow partners to:
- Authenticate to the NHS e-RS Application using a Organisation and Role based session token.
- Search for a Unique Booking Reference Numbers (UBRN) using a Referrals for Review Worklist and Speciality search.
- Retrieve Clinical Referral Information comprising Header, Referral Reason, PDF Clinical Information and Supplementary Attachments.
- Logout from the session.
Early adopters can now request e-RS/DEV1 test data packs, smartcards and prototype support tooling to commence solution elaboration, design and prototyping through the Platforms Support Desk.